This FAQ is for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem you may face. Use of and access to the CitizenShipper website does not create any obligation, contractual or otherwise, among CitizenShipper, you, or any other user or browser. The opinions expressed throughout the CitizenShipper site are the opinions of the individual author and do not reflect the opinions of CitizenShipper or any other individual or entity.
For more information about the Pet Protection Plan, please see the Pet Protection Plan Terms & Conditions (available here). If any of the Pet Protection Plan Terms & Conditions differ from the descriptions contained in this FAQ, the Pet Protection Plan Terms & Conditions will control.
- When does the Pet Protection Plan apply?
Subject to certain exclusions, the CitizenShipper Pet Protection Plan may apply to you and your pet when your pet becomes ill or injured, is lost, stolen or abandoned, or dies during transportation that was arranged on the CitizenShipper website. If you believe you have a claim, you should contact us promptly to discuss the options available to you.
- What are CitizenShipper’s obligations under the Pet Protection Plan?
If your pet becomes ill or injured during transportation, you may be eligible for reimbursement of certain veterinary care, medical, or similar expenses incurred during transportation, up to a maximum limit of $1,000 per claim. If your pet is lost, stolen, abandoned, or dies during transportation, you may be eligible for reimbursement of up to $1,000 per claim. Depending on the facts and circumstances of your claim, you may be required to pay a copay equal to 20% of your reimbursable expenses.
- Are there any exclusions under the Pet Protection Plan?
Yes, some fees and expenses are excluded under the Pet Protection Plan, as shown below. Excluding certain scenarios ensures that we can offer the Pet Protection Plan to all of our Shippers free of charge. Our Pet Protection Plan does not provide reimbursement for the following expenses:
- Claims made based upon an event not occurring during your pet’s transportation.
- Diagnosis or treatment of any preexisting conditions.
- Transportation by air, water, train, or any form of off-road transportation.
- Lack of proper instruction, preparation, consideration, and supplies provided to the Driver to ensure safe passage of a pet.
- Knowingly allowing any person to transport a pet without the proper licenses or certificates (as applicable) or the physical or mental ability to manage a pet, proper vehicle maintenance, or any requirement of a Driver.
- Intentional injury by the Shipper or anyone entrusted by the Shipper with the care, custody, and control of the pet prior to acceptance of the pet by the Driver or after the pet’s delivery.
- Transportation or other expenses incurred by the Shipper or anyone acting on behalf of the Shipper, including additional travel expenses incurred by the Shipper.
- Non-veterinary expenses such as taxes, waste disposal fees, bank fees, vitamins, supplements, food, bathing, boarding, grooming, or day care expenses.
- Veterinary expenses exceeding the $1,000 limit of liability.
- Routine veterinary services such as vaccinations, routine examinations, teeth cleaning, and spaying or neutering procedures.
- Preventative procedures as defined by the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Expenses for over-the-counter medication or special diets.
- Alternative or holistic treatments of any kind, including but not limited to acupuncture, herbal remedies, crystals, homeopathy, massage, or reiki.
- Behavioral treatment or training.
- A claim caused by an Act of God, invasion, war or civil war, insurrection, rebellion, revolution, or military operation.
- Loss of market value, including loss of reproduction or competition of any kind, of a pet.
- Urns, caskets, or funeral home or similar expenses.
- Attorney fees or other defense or court related costs arising out of any incident or claim made under the Pet Protection Plan.
- Any agreement to pay or reimburse any third party for damages or services not covered under the Pet Protection Plan or in excess of our $1,000 limit of liability.
- Fraudulent claims or claims based on the material misrepresentation of the facts and circumstances of an event leading to a claim.
- Injury or illness sustained due to the knowing transportation of a pet by detached trailer, open air flat bed, or the bed of a pickup truck.
- Any legal responsibility of the Shipper for the behavior of a pet while in the care, custody and control of the Driver, a veterinary professional, law enforcement, animal control or any other third party, including escaping, aggressive behavior, biting, clawing, destruction of property, or causing any harm of any kind to any other person, animal, or property.
- What steps do I need to take before or after filing a claim?
If there is an accident or incident during your pet’s transportation, there are certain steps you may need to take before or after filing a claim in order for us to best assist you with your claim:
- If your pet becomes ill or injured during transportation, promptly seek professional veterinary treatment for your pet.
- Contact law enforcement immediately if your pet is lost, abandoned, or stolen during transportation, and retain copies of all police reports to send to us with your claim.
- Promptly report to CitizenShipper (as soon as possible, but no later than 60 days after transportation) if your pet is lost, abandoned, stolen, injured or dies during transportation.
- Retain copies of all of your pet’s medical bills and incidental expenses.
- Advise CitizenShipper of any other pet insurance you may have.
- In some instances, you may be required to provide us with proof of pet ownership.
- What expenses will CitizenShipper reimburse me for in the event of an accident or a claim?
In the event that your pet becomes ill or injured during transportation, you may be eligible for reimbursement of certain veterinary care, medical, or similar expenses incurred during transportation. If your claim qualifies for reimbursement, then subject to your payment of a co-pay equal to 20% of your claimed expenses, you may be reimbursed up to a maximum claim amount of $1,000 for your pet’s veterinary or medical bills.
In the event that your pet is lost, stolen, abandoned, or dies during transportation, you may be eligible for reimbursement of expenses, up to a maximum of $1,000 per pet.
- How do I contact CitizenShipper to report an accident or file a claim?
In order to report an accident or file a claim, you should contact CitizenShipper online using this reporting form.
- How long does the Pet Protection Plan last and is there a time limit to file a claim?
The Pet Protection Plan begins when you drop off your pet with the Transporter, and ends when you pick your pet up, and lasts for the duration of your pet’s transportation. If you believe your pet is sick or injured following your pet’s trip, you should seek immediate veterinary care. You may be covered under the Pet Protection Plan for the discovery of any illness or injury incurred during your pet’s transportation for up to 72 hours after you pick up your pet.
- Is the Pet Protection Plan an insurance plan?
No, the CitizenShipper Pet Protection Plan is not pet insurance, and does not replace any pet insurance you have or may wish to obtain. CitizenShipper provides all of its Shippers with CitizenShipper’s Pet Protection Plan, free of charge, as our promise to you that your pet is being cared for during transportation. Our Pet Protection Program is designed to bring you peace of mind and reimbursement for emergency expenses that may arise during your pet’s transportation.
Although CitizenShipper is backed by an insurance company in case anything happens to your pet during transportation, we do not offer or sell pet insurance. [You may obtain a copy of our policy by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org]. You should contact an insurance agent to help you with your pet insurance needs.
- Can I opt-out of the Pet Protection Plan plan?
Our Pet Protection Plan is provided to all of our customers at no additional cost to you. Therefore, opting-out of the Pet Protection Plan will not lower your CitizenShipper service fees. However, you may opt-out of the Pet Protection Plan at any time prior to the start of your reservation by emailing CitizenShipper at email@example.com with the subject “Opt-Out of Pet Protection Plan.”
10. When was the pet protection plan launched?
The CitizenShipper Pet Protection Plan was launched at 3pm CT on Monday 20th September 2021, and covers all shipments booked from that point on.