CitizenShipper’s Pet Protection is offered to you at no additional cost; however, if you wish to opt out of these Terms, you may do so by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The purpose of the Protection Plan is to promote user confidence in, and increase the use of, the CitizenShipper Platform by reimbursing you, the Shipper, for certain losses that might be incurred in connection with the use of CitizenShipper’s Platform.
THESE TERMS ARE NOT A CONTRACT OF INSURANCE, NOR AN OFFER TO INSURE, ANY SHIPPER OR SHIPPER’S PET. IN ADDITION, CITIZENSHIPPER’S PET PROTECTION MAY BE DUPLICATIVE OF ANY PET OR OTHER INSURANCE COVERAGE YOU ALREADY CARRY OR MAY WISH TO OBTAIN, AND YOU SHOULD CONSULT WITH AN INSURANCE AGENT REGARDING ANY QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE RELATED TO ANY INSURANCE COVERAGE YOU MAY CARRY OR WISH TO OBTAIN.
PET PROTECTION PLAN
Subject to the terms and conditions contained in these Terms, CitizenShipper agrees to reimburse Shippers for their out-of-pocket expenses (the “Costs”) incurred as a result of their use of the CitizenShipper platform causing the loss, abandonment, physical injury, or illness (“Injury”) of the Shipper’s pet(s) properly disclosed at the time of shipment (each a “Pet”), or veterinary treatment and services provided to the applicable Pet, within 72 hours (the “Delivery Period”) after the Pet’s return to the care, custody, and control of the Shipper (“Delivery”) (each a “Loss”), all as specifically set forth below. You must comply with all of the requirements in these Terms in order to be eligible to receive any reimbursement from CitizenShipper.
Upon the occurrence of a Loss resulting from the loss, abandonment, or death of a Pet, CitizenShipper will reimburse you for Costs up to a maximum limit of liability of $1,000 USD per shipment.
Upon the occurrence of a Loss resulting from the veterinary treatment of or Injury to a Pet, CitizenShipper will reimburse you for Costs up to CitizenShipper’s maximum limit of liability of $1,000 USD per shipment, subject first to Shipper’s payment in full of the Shipper’s contribution amount equal to 20% of the claimed Costs. The maximum amount CitizenShipper will be liable to pay for a Loss is limited to $1,000 per Pet (the “Limit of Liability”).
CONDITIONS & LIMITATIONS
As used in these Terms, the word “Loss” excludes, and CitizenShipper will not provide payment for, any losses arising from or as a result of any of the following:
- Events occurring outside of the Delivery Period.
- Diagnosis or treatment of any preexisting condition, including but not limited to any condition for which a veterinarian previously provided medical advice to a Shipper or for which a Pet received treatment for, or displayed behaviors or symptoms consistent with, an injury or illness.
- Transportation of a Pet outside of or independent from the Shipper’s use of the CitizenShipper Platform.
- Lack of proper instruction, preparation, consideration, or supplies provided by the Shipper to the Driver to ensure safe passage of the Pet to the agreed-upon destination.
- The Shipper knowingly allows any Driver or other person to transport a Pet without the proper licensure (if applicable), the physical or mental ability to manage a Pet, the proper vehicle maintenance (including air conditioning or heat), or the ability to fulfill any requirement as a Driver.
- Intentional, willful, or negligent injury caused by the Shipper or anyone entrusted by the Shipper with the care, custody, and control of the Pet (a) prior to acceptance of the Pet by the Driver, or (b) after Delivery of the Pet.
- Transportation or other expenses incurred by Shipper, or anyone acting on behalf of Shipper, including but not limited to additional travel expenses incurred by Shipper or a Pet.
- Non-veterinary services, including but not limited to federal, state, and local taxes, OSHA fees, biohazard fees, waste disposal, surcharges, monetary charges (e.g. credit card, bank or copy fees), vitamins, supplements, food, products, bathing, boarding, grooming, daycare, or any form of holistic or herbal treatment.
- Veterinary services exceeding the Limit of Liability.
- Routine veterinary services including, but not limited to, vaccinations, routine examinations, diagnosis, teeth cleaning, anal gland expressing, and spaying or neutering procedures.
- Preventative procedures as defined by the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Over the counter medication or special diets of any kind.
- Behavioral treatment or training.
- Invasion, war, insurrection, rebellion, revolution, or military or civil authority operation.
- Loss of a Pet’s market value, including loss of reproduction or competition of any kind.
- Urns, caskets, funerals, or similar expenses.
- Attorneys’ fees or other defense-related costs including court-related expenses arising out of any incident reported by a Shipper under these Terms.
- Any agreement to pay or reimburse any person or entity for damages or services not covered under these Terms or in excess of the Limit of Liability.
- Fraudulent claims or claims based on the material misrepresentation of the facts and circumstances of a Loss.
- Injury, illness, or other conditions sustained due to the transportation of a Pet by a detached trailer, open-air flatbed, or pickup truck bed for which the Shipper knew or should have known of at any time during the booking or transportation process.
- Any legal or financial responsibility of the Shipper for the behavior of a Pet while in the care, custody, and control of the Driver, a veterinary professional, law enforcement, animal control, or any other person or entity, including but not limited to escaping, aggressive behavior, biting, clawing, destruction of property, or causing any harm of any kind to any other person, animal or property.
- Damages or losses arising from the Shipper’s failure to comply with any applicable law or ordinance, or the Shipper’s violation of law, criminal acts, or misdemeanors.
REPORTING & RESOLUTION
For all claimed Losses occurring as a result of a violation of law, criminal act, or misdemeanor, you may be required to first file a police report describing the circumstances of the event and provide CitizenShipper with a copy of the such report. You may also be asked to provide CitizenShipper with proof of ownership of, or legal responsibility for, a Pet in the form of receipts, photographs, videos, documents, or other customary forms of proof, certified by you as true and correct and reasonably acceptable to CitizenShipper.
CitizenShipper reserves the right to offset or deduct from amounts payable to you any amounts you may have or obtain from any other person or entity obligated to compensate for any claimed Losses, including any pet or other insurance coverage you may carry.
All claims must be reported to CitizenShipper in writing through www.CitizenShipper.com or at email@example.com within 30 days of the date of Delivery (the “Notice Period”). Following the Notice Period, you will have 90 days to submit requested copies of any documentation, photos, receipts, or reports to CitizenShipper (the “Reporting Period”). Any claim reported outside of the Notice Period, or any documentation, photos, receipts, or reports not submitted to CitizenShipper within the Reporting Period, may be denied by CitizenShipper and your claim may be considered terminated or resolved at CitizenShipper’s sole discretion.
TERM & TERMINATION
- By Customer: You may opt-out of these Terms by providing CitizenShipper with written notice prior to the scheduled date of your Pet’s shipment through our website at www.CitizenShipper.com or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any dispute arising out of, relating to, or in connection with these Terms will be resolved in accordance with the dispute resolution provisions contained in CitizenShipper’s Dispute Resolution Terms of Service, available here.
You may not assign or otherwise transfer these Terms or any of your rights and obligations under these Terms to any other person without the prior written consent of CitizenShipper, which may be withheld at CitizenShipper’s sole discretion. Any assignment or transfer in violation of these Terms will be void. CitizenShipper may freely assign these Terms without notice to you or your consent. Effective upon CitizenShipper’s assignment, the assignee is deemed substituted for CitizenShipper as a party to these Terms and CitizenShipper will be fully released from all of its obligations and duties to perform under these Terms. Subject to the foregoing, these Terms will be binding upon, and inure to the benefit of, the Shipper and the Shipper’s respective permitted successors and assigns.
The CitizenShipper Pet Protect Plan was launched at 3 pm CT on Monday 20th September 2021 and covers pet shipments listed from that point on.
Last updated September 9th, 2022.