At CitizenShipper, our goal is to keep expenses affordable and make shipping services accessible to all pet owners. Here’s how:
- Listing a pet shipment on our marketplace is completely free of charge.
- Before you make a payment you can connect with drivers, review quotes, and negotiate any details of the shipment.
- After you accept a quote we add a modest service fee.
- The service fee is a separate expense that’s calculated automatically after you click “Book Driver.”
- The service fee is in addition to the quoted price — it doesn't come out of the driver’s quote.
- You can review the breakdown of your expenses before confirming the shipment.
The fee scales as the mileage of the transportation job as follows:
Please note below are the fees prior to November 8th 2022 9.45am CT.
This fee scales with the driver's quoted price as follows for pet transports:
*Note, for dog shipping fees please see here. We’ve switched to a mileage-based fee schedule for dog shipping.
Example of Pet Shipping Fees
Let's say a driver quotes you $400 for the shipment. Looking at the table above, we see that this quote is in the $375-$427 price range. That means the service fee is $99.99. Your total expense would be $499.99 — our fee represents about 19% of the cost.
- The service fee is the only required upfront cost — you’ll be charged $99.99 immediately.
- You'll pay the remaining $400 as agreed upon with the driver (typically on delivery).
Here's a graph that illustrates the breakdown of costs:
Why Is There a Service Fee?
You may wonder, “Why does CitizenShipper charge a service fee?”
We use the revenue generated from your service fee to improve our marketplace and ultimately, the customer experience for shippers and drivers.
Our drivers have the freedom to run their small businesses and be their own bosses — they set their own prices and routes. This is why we never take a cut from the driver’s quoted price.
If you have any further questions or concerns about the CitizenShipper service fee for pet shipping, please don't hesitate to reach out to our customer support team!
What to read next
For a comprehensive overview of CitizenShipper policies, check out this section of our Help Center.