So you've received bids from a driver or two. That's great! Now you're wondering how payments are handled? Here are a few things to know about CitizenShipper and how to pay for shipments.
- We aren’t involved in the actual transport and don’t mediate the transaction.
- We enable our independent contractors to use a payment method that’s most convenient for their small business.
- You and the transporter will discuss the payment details using our internal messaging system.
- The payment will be made after you and the driver reach an agreement on the terms of the transaction.
Why Is There a Booking Fee?
While our goal is to facilitate affordable shipping services, we do charge a modest booking fee. 100% of the shipment quote/bid price goes to the driver, so the booking fee is our compensation for making the connection. It is used to fund further development of the CitizenShipper platform and the continued services and safeguards provided by our support staff.
When Do I Pay for the Shipment?
Drivers often ask for payment on delivery.
- You can pay with cash, check or credit card.
- Some drivers also accept payment providers like PayPal or ApplePay.
- We require transporters to inform you of their payment requirements before you can accept their bid and enter into a contract.
Sometimes drivers request whole or partial payment upfront to cover travel expenses, which can be substantial on longer deliveries.
We recommend you take the following precautions if the driver requests payment upfront:
- Check the driver’s reviews to confirm he or she has good feedback from previous customers.
- Choose a payment method that can be disputed in case things don't go according to plan.
- Use a payment method with safeguards in place that allow you to dispute a payment like PayPal, ApplePay, Square and credit card providers.
- Avoid irreversible payment methods, such as direct money transfers via Western Union or Moneygram.
What Do I Do If There’s A Payment Issue?
In the unlikely event that there's any trouble with payment, shippers and drivers can contact firstname.lastname@example.org at any time. Our support staff is there to assist you and advise you on best practices when it comes to payments.
What To Read Next?
For more advice on making the most of your CitizenShipper experience, see the articles about ensuring a smooth transaction, why you should keep communication on the platform and how to recognize scams.
Also check out our blog for advice on choosing the right driver.